Don't Swallow Magnets


Photo via KPTV

This starts as a touching story of a 3 year old girl surviving after swallowing 37 'Buckyball' magnets, which perforated her stomach and intestines. Everyone can agree that this is good news, and we can all support her and her parents.

Where the story takes a turn towards the stupid is when the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission reported that "ingestion of high powered magnets by children has been on the rise". On the surface, this is nothing new. Children eat everything that isn't nailed down. They're like dogs that way. But they go on to say that age range goes from 18 months to 15 years.

15 years? Really? Teenagers are accidentally eating high powered magnets? Are they using them like gizzard stones? What's frightening is, every time an election rolls around, a student group starts up about how the voting age should be lowered to 16 because kids are mature and responsible members of society, and they eat magnets. Realistically, the 15 year olds eating magnets probably aren't the ones inclined to vote once their next birthday rolls around, but still. Next time you see a youth driver on the road, just think, they could have a pile of fridge magnets in their gullet.
Share on Google Plus

About MR. Clark

Adopting the descriptor of "successfully unpublished author", MR. Clark began writing things on the internet in 2012, which he believed to be an entirely reputable and civilized place to find and deliver information. He regrets much.

0 comments :

Post a Comment